Short Answer Questions:
1. Quite a few writers we’ve discussed have been recognized as literary pioneers (that is, they were the “FIRST” to use a certain technique or achieve a certain level of fame; for example, Ben Franklin wrote the first famous American autobiography and the first American rags-to-riches story). Choose three writers we’ve covered since the last test and discuss how each was a literary pioneer.
2. Compare the narrative voices of Phyllis Wheatley and Olaudah Equiano. How does each appear to feel about his/her captivity? How does each feel about the dominant “white” society? Give specific examples.
3. Recent research suggests (but does not prove) that Equiano may have been born in South Carolina, not in Africa. How does this possibility change your assessment of his narrative?
One of the most quoted lines in Thoreau’s work occurs in “Economy”: The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Discuss this statement and Thoreau’s observation that desperation is found in the city, the country, and even in our “games and amusement.”
5. One of the PowerPoint slides contains the following assertion concerning “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”: “The story may represent Irving’s view of what the world is becoming—rough, a bit uncouth, etc.” Using examples, show how this statement can apply to BOTH “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” and “Rip Van Winkle.”
6. Discuss how the subject of death is treated in ONE of the following poems: Freneau’s “The Indian Burying Ground,” or Bryant’s “Thanatopsis.”
7. Define “frame story” and discuss Irving’s use of the frame story to separate the author or narrator from the story in “Rip Van Winkle” and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” What might be his purpose in using the frames as he did?
8. Discuss some similarities between Franklin’s Autobiography and Equiano’s Interesting Narrative.
9. Summarize Emerson’s “Self-Reliance” and state what you believe are its main themes. What do you think Emerson wants readers to learn from the essay?
10. Explain why, in your opinion, Thoreau undertook the experiment at Walden Pond.
11. Define “frame story” and discuss Irving’s use of the frame story to separate the author or narrator from the story in “Rip Van Winkle” and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” What might be his purpose in using the frames as he did?
12. What are the major “errata” of Franklin’s life, and why does he mention these so prominently in the autobiography?
13. In your opinion, what would Franklin most want to be remembered for?
14. Compare Ben Franklin’s Autobiography and Olaudah Equiano’s Narrative as “rags to riches” success stories.
15. Discuss what Emerson means when he states, “No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature.” How does this fit in with the rest of his philosophy in “Self-Reliance”? As a governing principle, how useful do you believe this statement to be?
16. Lydia Maria Child’s fiction was, in her own time, sometimes described as “abolitionist propaganda.” Today, her stories are often described as melodramatic. Discuss what elements of “The Quadroons” seem overly dramatic, and how this drama helps shed some light on the abolitionist cause.
17. Aside from his poetry, what other accomplishments was Philip Freneau known for?
18. Discuss some ways Equiano’s slave narrative is typical of Ante-bellum slave narratives.
19. What are some of the “marvels” that Equiano encounters during his travels, and why does each impress him?
20. Most of Equiano’s audience was white, Christian, and middle-class. What qualities of prose style, what allusions, what details support the statement that the narrative was directed to such an audience?
21. Washington Irving’s stories contain elements of satire. What does Irving make fun of in “Rip Van Winkle” and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”?
22. One of the most quoted lines in Thoreau’s work occurs in “Economy”: “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Discuss this statement and Thoreau’s observation that desperation is found in the city, the country, and even in our “games and amusement.”
23. Thoreau believes in simple living. Discuss several of the ways he simplifies his life during his experiment on Walden Pond.
24. Discuss the theme of beauty in any two poems by Freneau or Emerson.
25. Discuss Ben Franklin’s plan for arriving at moral perfection.
26. Phyllis Wheatley and Olaudah Equiano both wrote to a primarily white, middle-class audience. Discuss elements of each writer’s work that point at the accuracy of this assertion.
27. Discuss Emerson’s concept of “self-reliance.”
28. Using examples from “Self-Reliance,” discuss Emerson’s ideas on individualism, nonconformity, and the nature of genius.
29. In what ways is Ben Franklin the representative American of his era? What good and bad qualities can readers learn from him, based on the Autobiography?
Why Hire a Professional Essay Writer from essayprohire
The quality of an essay is important
If you want to be successful in the essay writing world, it’s important to make sure that the quality of your work is high. A professional essay writer from us will be able to provide you with high-quality papers, and they will also have the experience necessary to write effective essays. This means that you won’t have to worry about any errors or problems with your essays – they will be perfect.
Our Customer service is top-notch
If you have a problem with your essay, or if you just need a little help writing it, then you should contact our customer service. Our customer service is always available to help you with whatever you need – from getting your essay correct to helping you with the grammar and punctuation. We’re here to help, so don’t hesitate to call us today!
Our offer on Unlimited Revisions
If you're looking for essaywriting help, then you should definitely consider getting help from a essaywritinghelpnow. However, if you're not sure what you need or whether you have the time or resources to do the research yourself, then you might want to consider getting unlimited revisions done by our team of experts. O
Our guarantee to Confidentiality
We understand the importance of confidentiality, and we will never share your personal information with anyone without your permission. That’s why we offer a one-year guarantee that your essays will remain confidential. If you decide that you no longer want us to write your essays, we will still respect your privacy and will destroy all the evidence that we had of your work.
We believe that it is important to have a reliable and trustworthy essaywriter. That’s why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our essays. We take the time to get to know our clients, and we will always make sure that our essays are of the highest quality. We understand that not everyone is happy with their first essay, so we want to make sure that you’re always satisfied with the results of our work.
Our punctuality and quality
At our company, we pride ourselves on our punctuality and quality. We understand that it can be difficult to get essays written on time, and we’re here to help you out! Our writers are always available to help you with your essay, and we guarantee that you’ll receive the best possible product. We also have a strict no-nonsense policy when it comes to plagiarism, so you can be sure that your essay will be of the highest quality.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
So much stress and so little time? Take care of yourself: let us help you with your tasks. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission and Business Papers
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Editing and Proofreading
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.